[DeTomaso] "Houston, we have a problem"

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Mar 27 15:41:05 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/27/10 11 56 22, cengles at cox.net writes:

>               How to proceed?   This is a known Pantera failure mode.
> Repair by welding the two pieces?   Repair by replacing with a new pedal?
>

>>>It depends on your budget and your desires.   The factory upgraded the
pedal assembly with a steel pedal with a roller bearing pivot.   It is very
nice and VERY expensive.   It's not listed on Wilkinson's site, but Larry
Stock had one, and it was almost $300 I think???

The simple solution is to buy a replacement aftermarket cast aluminum
throttle pedal, from Hall Pantera or Precision Proformance:

http://hallpantera.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=hallpantera-inc&
item=21477

http://precisionproformance.com/in1061.htm

It's only $50/49, and I've never heard of one breaking.   It also has a bit
of bling to make you feel better about spending your money.

Alternately, you could celebrate your Oklahoma heritage and fix it with
some proper Okie engineering.   In my spare parts stash, I keep a spare gas
pedal, because there are only two types of stock Pantera pedals--those that
have snapped at the weak point, and those that will.   I got it from Relay Rick
Moseley, whose sensibilities were offended by it, so he replaced it shortly
after he bought his Pantera.

Photo here:

It's really quite ingenious.   Appropriately sized bolts had the heads cut
off, then then were bent to follow the curve of the pedal body, and had
flats ground into two sides.   One was placed on either side of the pedal in the
cavity formed by the casting, holes drilled through the sides of both bolts
and the pedal halves, and then it was all bolted together with small grade
8 bolts; then the ends of the small bolts were ground off.

The pedal is not welded at all, but I'm here to tell you that it is
hell-for-strong.   It seems a long way to go to save the $50 that an aftermarket
pedal costs, but it's probably a good trackside solution if your pedal breaks
far from home and need to get the car back on the road pronto.

I have a stock, yet-to-be-broken pedal in my car, and I carry my Okie spare
with me to track events, just in case.

>Replace the throttle cable at the same time??      I understand that the
throttle cable replacement is a PITA job.

>>>It's a great job for kids.   It sucks for super-tall fellows such as
yourself.   Do you have a stock, or aftermarket cable now?   Does it have undue
drag?   If it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it.   Replacing the cable isn't
overly difficult; you just have to remove the back panel, and loosen (but not
remove) the center console, and remove the kick panel.   It's a job of an
hour or more.

> Is the pedal removal/repair
equally difficult?

>>>It's a bit awkward, especially with the driver's seat installed.
There's a pivot shaft pressed into the big aluminum pedal mount casting, secured
with a roll pin.   (Early cars have the pin exiting on only one side; the
later cars have a two-sided pin, with the second side supporting the clutch
effort-reduction linkage).   It's secured with a tiny snap ring, and has
washers on either side.   90-degree small snap-ring pliers are the only tool
required for removal--and of course you'll have to remove the cable from the
ball which is threaded into the side of the pedal.   You'll then have to
transfer that ball over to your new pedal.

Here's the parts diagram which shows the relationship of all the parts:

http://www.panterasbywilkinson.com/webpages/catalog/ill8a.html

The early cars like ours have the pedal simply rotating on the shaft; it's m
etal-on-metal and thus it's a good idea to thoroughly lubricate it.   The
later pedals had a roller bearing setup (the bearing is shown as part #12 in
the diagram).   Since you've got upgrade fever, the ultimate solution might
be to buy a Hall/Byars aftermarket pedal (which I believe does NOT come with
this bearing), and buy the bearing, then have a machine shop open up the
hole in the pedal and press the bearing in.

Smooth as buttah! :>)