[DeTomaso] roll bar /roll cage question

Rod Kunishige rkunishige at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 26 21:33:23 EDT 2010

More thoughts on the subject:

Moving the main loop outside the cabin give us slightly less compression height if you string a line to the windshield bottom for comparison.  This is not a problem for my 5’ 10’’ average frame but would be a concern to anyone in the range of Art Stephen’s formally high stature (per MD).

Removable down bars in the rear could be fashioned by having two unequal plates held by four bolts.  The plates would mount on either side of the cabin just behind the headrests.  This mounting point would be through sheet metal welded into a section of the rear window creating an even smaller window.  The plates must be at least .5” difference to avoid metal sheer due to vibration.

Regarding the cage during street use, both Phyllis and I find it second nature to enter the car with the side bar in place.  I feared that I would be removing it for street use but…not so.   I must admit it takes me a bit longer to exit than Phyllis but it just may be attributed to my aging body.

Rod Kunishige