[DeTomaso] The Most Unusual 351c Weber Maniold

clark griswold clarkwgriswold2nd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 20:54:07 EDT 2010

hmmm...interesting. Well Julian I wasnt familiar with the history of Cain,
but thanks for the background. I did choose the IDF format for the
streetability benefits, and they were a little less expensive in the fuel
injection dept. I have an EFI setup that i want to run on the pantera. Its
48mm so the overall air flow should really be the same idea as the more
widely used IDA's.  Yes i know that volkswagens use IDF carbs...haha...that
might be where i got started with them. Anyway, I dont know what they mean
by 302-351c, but i can say that when i bought the 302 manifold that the
downdraft IDF''s are currently installed on, it too was referred to as a
302-351w manifold. I thought the same thing, i even asked several times, why
is it called that?.... When a 351w and a 302 are completely different deck
heights and intakes. They said it would fit, Basically it was "styled" after
the 351w, but it does fit a 302...just fine. Its never been run but it fits
the little motor perfect. I was gonna run it on my sunbeam Tiger and decided
I didnt want to cut the firewall. so, long story short, if i can get my
hands on a 351c IDF intake, im ready to go. Well and i stil l need the
harness and management, but thats another topic. The IDF's i thought were
slightly less desirable, so i thought getting ahold of one  wouldnt be that
tough, but it sounds like i might have been wrong. I will keep my eyes open.
There is a company in australia that makes an adapter that will allow  using
an IDF carb/TB on an IDA intake. While it probably functions fine, it doesnt
look right to me. Its a sort of spacer adapter and it realigns the two
different bore centerlines for the IDF format. blue thunder and some of
these companies I assume get all their manifolds from the same place,
because most of them are on backorder. But they did say they were expecting
to get some soon.