[DeTomaso] roll bar /roll cage question

cullen mccann clarkwgriswold2nd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 12:15:39 EDT 2010

Excellent information, and completely understood.

Thanks!

Also,

If you like the use the bar to add strength to the back like I did
(attach to the decklid hinge as well as tie into engine brace area) it
would be easier on the firewall side because I end up going through the
rear window. If you think about putting it on engine side you could make
a mounting plate on and to the fire wall to mount the forward side bars
which would be easier then going through the window. I think that was
what you were saying.

As far as bolting to the rockers, some weld large plate steel across the
entire rockers (alot of steel). I did not but I did build an inner
structure. Is that adequate? Lot of speculation as only destructive
testing would confirm. I have been told of one fatal crash which
collapsed the rockers but there are too many variables to draw some real
conclusions from.

In the end, everything is a compromise. If you build it like a tank
then...it is a tank. I chose the cockpit config because I may make a
removable cage area at a latter date for the front. In doing so I didn't
need to do it now.