[DeTomaso] rear brake options?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Mar 24 14:37:01 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/24/10 9:21:18 AM, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> I see Wilwood calipers are actually pretty cheap (($125 for the caliper
> itself).  Would that make sense?  I haven't paid much attention to those
> because I believe they don't have dust seals at the pistons.

Thats all correct- but Wilwood calipers have a different bolt spacing than
stock so some sort of adapter bracket is needed- which is why the vendors
sell a ''kit'. To date, the only rear caliper 'kit' (Hall & maybe others) uses
a GM single piston sliding rear caliper with their version of a cable
actuater- and thats what you have stock, only smaller than the GM. Wilwood also
sells a cable-operated caliper- handy for those who change to a rear caliper
that has no built in e-brake. And that also need a rather elaborate adapter
bracket. Personally, Wilwood's lack of a dust seal on all their calipers has
not proven to be a problem on the front of our car; a pair have been on
there over 10 yrs without a leak or other problem. Over the years there have
been several DIY articles in the POCA Newsletter on this subject- check your
archives- J DeRyke