[DeTomaso] rear brake options?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 24 13:18:49 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/24/10 9 30 23, MikeLDrew at aol.com writes:

> A better option would be Baer PBR calipers, which Bobby Byars sells.
> They
> can be used with the stock rotors, and have a built-in parking brake.
> They're much more powerful, and are aluminum, so they're a fair bit
> lighter.

Here's a photo from the Baer website:

http://www.baer.com/products/complete/img/track-rear-image.jpg

They are VERY expensive directly from Baer--almost $500 per caliper!   I'm
pretty sure Bobby Byars sells them for quite a bit less.

These are PBR calipers made in Australia, same as fitted to the C5/C6
Corvette.   The difference is all the add-on bracketry for the parking brake.   I
found out the hard way (helping out a guy in Europe) that simply buying
Corvette calipers won't get you there.   You can fab up some mounting brackets
and install them easily enough, but the very involved, complex parking brake
mechanism is Baer-Byars-specific, and that's where all the expense lies.