[DeTomaso] Aldan shocks help!

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Tue Mar 23 00:44:54 EDT 2010

It's an example of what happens when you put your fingers in motion before putting your brain in gear.
But it is true that I have a very limited understanding of springs and shocks and should not post on this matter.

Now I will break my promise.

My understanding is that the shock has to ride about 1" into it's length range at rest and therefore has about 2" more to compress when the wheel hits a big bump or the car goes thru a depression.  So while a shock is adjustable, it really is adjustable over a very limited range.  If you crank it down 1.5" from it's full length because you want the car to look cool, then set it on the ground so it compresses another 1" as the spring is loaded, you only have 1/2" more of shock travel before it bottoms out and is damaged and / or the spring rate becomes infinity.

My brain short circuited from "shock shortening" to "spring compression"-- and fingers followed.

Or did I mess up again?  :-)

Jim