[DeTomaso] Aldan shocks help!

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 00:21:16 EDT 2010

Jim,

    The compressed length of the spring when the spring is supporting the car should sbe the same regardless of spring adjustment, as long as the preload does not exceed the weight on the shock.  As you compress the spring with pre-load, the relaxed length of the shock does not change, it remains at the extended length.  But, as you increase preload, the compression of the spring when you put weight on the car is reduced, so the car sits higher for more preload.

   For example.  If you have zero preload on a 400 Lbs spring and there is 800 pounds static weight on the shock, the shock will compress 2 inches when you drop the car.

    If you preload the spring 1 inch (400 pounds) when you drop the car, the spring will only compress 1 additional inch to reach a total load of 800 pounds, so the car sits higher.

    Hope this makes sense.

Ken