[DeTomaso] Aldan shocks help!

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Tue Mar 23 00:19:22 EDT 2010

Maybe you should let the guys at Aldan determine which shock you should use.
If you measure the height from the middle of the lower mounting bolt to the middle of upper mounting bolt with the car at rest you will know what you have now.
Unless you change the spring rate the new coilover will rest at the same spot when the spring is loaded (car is on the ground). If you change the spring rate it will rest higher or lower depending on the new spring rate.

When I was talking to the Aldan folks in 2005 I calculated, assuming a 3300 lb wt and a 40/60 wt distribution, that each rear wheel supports 1000 lb and each front supports 650lb.  Based on that I was advised that for a "sporting street use" the fronts should have 350-400 lb spring rates and the rear 500-550. At that time they didn't know what the stock springs are on a Pantera.

At that time they said Hall ordered 15.5" max length shocks and used their own larger-diameter springs while Precision Proformance ordered 755's with 400 and 700 lb springs.

According to the info I have from that time the 755 had a range of 11.5 to 15.4inches while the 758HP was 11.7 to 15.5

Most guys want to lower their car a bit when they switch to coilovers, so you might want a longer shock than the average buyer.

Hope this helps.

Jim