[DeTomaso] myth of Pantera braking force limiter?

GW gow2 at rc-tech.net
Sun Mar 21 21:08:38 EDT 2010

Proper adjustments of brakes is key to good braking. A lot of the MG
guys will defend the drum brakes because they can "lock them up" so they
must be good. What they fail to understand is balance is key. While they
say their braking is great they then say something like the left locks
up before the right which negates good balance and good braking. 6
months later their drum bias changes again.

Stock brakes, stock car, stock proportioning, stock tires, how much of
this is still the same?

When I got my Pantera it had a lot of stuff on it like the dual MC with
balance bar in front of the booster. A pretty common after market set up
on the Pantera. Like many things on the car when I got it, it was
installed but not adjusted. My front brakes locked up too soon. The
result was every time I came to a stop sign, the fronts would skid with
out the car really slowing down. It wasn't just bad it was dangerous. So
like amny other things on the car I spent an afternoon adjusting.

Everyone knows you don't want the backs to lock up but it isn't as
simple as that. With too much bias front or back the brakes don't work
together. I needed to find the point at which the rears locked up first
so I could define the threshold. I adjusted the balance bar, went out
locked up the brakes, came back and did it again. I did so till the
rears would lock up first.

At that point I reversed the process slowly till I found the spot where
the fronts locked up right before the rears. What I ended up with is a
set up where the fronts and the backs worked together. The back pulled
the car down and really made the fronts dig in. Both scenarios the
fronts locked up first but before I adjusted them, the car would slowly
skid to a stop at every stop sign. After adjusted I could slam on the
brakes and it would throw you into the windshield.

The moral of the story is the ability to adjust your bias is a good
thing especially if there is anything about the car which is not stock.