[DeTomaso] myth of Pantera braking force limiter?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 15:55:01 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/20/10 1:54:14 PM, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> ....and the cylinder is a pulsation absorber, so if rotors are out of
> tolerance you don't feel it in the pedal.
>
> So if I remove the extra stock caliper on each rear wheel I should not
> have to put a valve in...

The Orange Illustrated Parts book from the factory (1975) calls te cylinder
a 'brake pressure control', and there were at least three versions- one of
which was adjustable (per the Black Illlustrated Parts book-1985)- just like
a commonly-referred-to "brake proportioning valve" . But regardless of what
you call it, it limits the force one can apply to the front calipers with
the brake pedal. Removing it increases the pedal force applied to the front
rotors, increasing the stopping force at any pedal pressure since you don't
have to first overcome the strength of the coil spring inside the valve.

And no- you won't need a proportioning valve if you DECREASE the brake
force on the rear rotors (by removing the extra calipers). Only if you INCREASE
the force applied to the rear rotors, will a proprotioning valve possibly be
needed to prevent rear lock-up. Good luck- J DeRyke