[DeTomaso] Clunk or not..... I'm RACING!

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat Mar 20 22:37:37 EDT 2010

In order to dip my toe in the pool of racing my Pantera, I attended a
pre-season Test & Tune event with Autosports Northwest today, and will
again tomorrow.  This is the local autocross group.  They are a good
bunch.  They set up at Deer Park Airport, north of Spokane about 20 miles.

I managed 12 runs total in my Pantera today.  My first time ever
racing.  What a thrill (however small it may have been, it was my
first).  Most folks got plenty of runs like that since attendance was
light; usually each run group gets three runs in the morning and three
in the afternoon, so today was a really great day.

The Pantera performed very well, especially for a 37 year old 351C with
a replacement Holley and a ZF that's never been rebuilt.  Fastest track
times today were put in around 36 seconds, probably by the Subarus with
all wheel drive, I can't be sure unless they post results which I don't
expect.

As for me... I started out like any novice... I got a bit over 50
seconds on my first run.  I was shy, I was figuring out how to drive.
My  next run shaved 6 seconds off.  By the end of the day I was turning
the same track in 39, pretty much up there with the best of them.

AND WHAT A BLAST!
yea, I had to go slow on some 180 turnarounds, but blasting through some
of the gates and slolams in second gear was a RUSH.  40 seconds of full
throttle intermixed with full brake.  The car held up very well, never
overheat (wow!) steered like it was on rails (well nearly, I still have
some learning).  I am looking forward to doing this again, and should be
doing it tomorrow.

I -did- find out I would really like to get some dropped floor pans
though.  With a helmet on... I am a bit crowded for space.  Yes, I -do-
have the stock seats but I removed the spacers many years ago, so the
seats are as flat to the floor as they will go.

I am traveling to San Deigo on Monday and coming home Thursday.  I have
the next weekend to sort this clunk out before the driving school on
April 3 and 4.  That is a much higher speed driving event.... I'm told a
car like mine should be doing 140 out of the straight into turn 1 easy.
(I don't know I plan to go that fast).... anyway... I just -know- the
instructor is -not- going to like the clunk, having passed Tech
Inspection or not.so I'm in need of help.

The one generous soul on the forum who offered up a spare pair of
coil-overs, was not able to find them in the garage, so I'm back to
square one.  Anyone have a set they could send me next week?  Or point
me to the poly bushings and I'll work to press out the old and install
new.  I don't want to go with replacement stock rubber bushings at $45
each.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One of the guys at the track took photos and video.  I'll forward links
once he gets those posted but until then, I took some of my car at rest:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=3319

By the end of 2010, I want to have Autocross, Track and Open Road Race
added to my car hobby resume'.  One down... two to go.

:)

In memory of Tony Harvey.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired