[DeTomaso] myth of Pantera braking force limiter?

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Sat Mar 20 17:36:34 EDT 2010

Jim,

There is no myth about a brake force limiting component on a  stock Pantera.

There are two pressure related components of the brake system in  the front
trunk of a stock Pantera.

One component  is the front/back brake pressure proportioning  valve. This
valve is plumbed so as to reduce the pressure to the front brakes  with
respect to the rear brakes after a certain threshold pressure is reached.  This
pressure reduction to the front brakes, which is backwards from every other
application of a brake proportioning valve, is so the Pantera front  brakes
are more nearly balanced with the stopping power of the rear brakes.  The
pressure characteristics of this valve were tested and are described at
_http://www.panteraplace.com/page199.htm._
(http://www.panteraplace.com/page199.htm.)

The second component mounts the brake light switch. This  component also
contains a shuttle valve and an electrical switch. The  shuttle valve senses
the brake line pressure of the front and rear brake  systems. If the
pressures are grossly different due to a major pressure loss in  one system, the
shuttle valve will move so as to close the electrical switch and  light a brake
failure warning light on the dashboard.

Have fun,

SOBill  Taylor
sobill at aol.com

In a message dated 3/20/2010 1:54:16 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,