[DeTomaso] U-Joint Bolts

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Sat Mar 20 02:26:14 EDT 2010

FWIW,

I know this has covered before, but.

When I removed my drive axles, I found two types of bolts. One  type of
bolt was marked "SBE100" and the other type was marked "Rockford."  The SBE100
are metric and the Rockford are 7/16-20.

The SBE100 bolt dimensions are:

Diameter of Threads = 11mm
Pitch of threads = 1.25mm
Bolt length under the head = 32mm
Thickness of head = 6.2mm
Thread length = 18mm
Grip length = 14mm
Diameter of grip area = 11.12mm
Distance across flats = 15.9mm

These bolts should be metric grade 10.9 150,000 psi tensile  strength. The
bolts are not marked with the metric grade.

The Rockford bolts have a 17mm grip length (the area without  threads)
which is too long for the u-joint flanges. I believe these are  AN7-12A bolts
which have had the  threaded area shortened.

I am replacing all my u-joint bolts with AN7-11A bolts and  AN365-720A
locknuts from Aircraft Spruce.

The AN7-11A bolt dimensions are:

Diameter of Threads = 10.94mm
Pitch of threads = 1.27mm
Bolt length under the head = 31mm
Thickness of head = 6.42mm
Thread length = 17mm
Grip length = 14mm
Diameter of grip area = 11.05mm
Distance across flats = 15.76mm

Tensile Strength Rating = 150,000 psi

The AN7-11A bolts are essentially identical to the SBE100 within  normal
manufacturing tolerances. The AN7-11A bolts are 0.07mm (0.0028 inches)
smaller in diameter than the SBE100 bolts. This difference is not a  problem to me.

The AN7-11A bolts cost $1.25 each and the AN365-720A locknuts cost  $0.86
each at Aircraft Spruce.

Have fun,

SOBill  Taylor
sobill at aol.com