[DeTomaso] Why your battery won't charger after installing a DB Electronics starter

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Wed Mar 17 23:10:10 EDT 2010

For those who never cease to be amazed at my self-humiliating adventures
in my garage, I bring you the latest saga.

When I took the Pantera out last Sunday to bed the brakes, I found the
GEN light was on constantly.  This wasn't the case last year when I was
driving the car for a couple of weeks while missing the Silver State
Classic Challenge.  (for those who don't recall, I didn't go partially
because Sam was going through an operation).

Okay, so what changed between then, and now?

If we trace this story back to last year when I first installed the DB
Electrical Starter, you may recall I wired it in such a manner as to
allow the starter to generate current after releasing the key, thereby
providing the opportunity to keep the starter "running on" after the
engine was lit and the key released.  I meant to rectify that mistake.
(no pun intended).

So a few weeks ago while the Pantera was still on jack stands, I
re-wired everything so the firewall solenoid had both large battery
cables on one side and the trigger wire to the starter mounted solenoid
on the other.  Perfect!

Okay, so here's the humiliating part.  I bet SOBill already knows what's
coming.

Please refer to the following illustration, courtesy SOBill:
http://www.panteraplace.com/Electrical/BATTERY%20CHARGING%20SYSTEM%20(PAGE%201).pdf

Please note the STARTER SOLENOID in the upper right (if you've
straightened the drawing out).  Now note the wire, on the left side of
the solenoid that travels down vertically, labeled Y and ending up at
the alternator.

Um... yea...... It really helps if that wire is on the SAME SIDE as the
Battery Cables.

Problem solved, little GEN light now goes out when the car is running.

This entire episode was troubleshot by using a Pantera wiring diagram.
I decided to trace the GEN light feed before tracing actual wires and
looking for possible disconnects.  Once I got to the solenoid.... I knew
what had happened.  A quick look under the car confirmed it and switched
the wire to the other side.

So if you don't have a wiring diagram, I strongly encourage  you to get
one, or at least download the plethora of re-worked diagrams that SOBill
has done and Mike Dailey provides on The Pantera Place.  It sure saved
me from a nightmarish night of wire tracing.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA