[DeTomaso] Replacing stock cooling fans

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Mar 16 14:43:59 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/16/10 6:40:00 AM, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> 'm considering the GT-40-like hood vent to my '71...... I would need to
> lay the radiator down for this mod, but how would these sucker fans fit with
> such a low dipping hood vent?

They will likely fit just fine. There are several Panteras- and GT-40s-
that use the large scooped 'Gurney' hood vent with slanted rads and sucker
fans. The main thing to consider when designing the vent is the size of the
radiator fan shroud opening that the hole in the hood matches up with. Too small
a shroud opening will lead to overheating at high speeds. That, and the
fact that when the vent is integratred with its hot air exhaust ducting, you
will need to cut most of the front trunk away, and will lose the structural
bracing of the front of the front trunk. Some sort of cross-brace between the
front upper a-arm mounts will need to be added to compensate. But such a
huge hole in the hood seems to act as an effective front spoiler, generating
considerable downforce. One Pantera with such a setup needed no additional
front spoiler up to 255 mph. Personally, I would use a fiberglas front hood-
the steel stocker is worth about twice the cost of a 'glas substitute, and a
'glas hood can be further modified if 'Design 1' is a little off. Good luck-
post photos when you finish. J DeRyke