[DeTomaso] Replacing stock cooling fans

GW gow2 at rc-tech.net
Tue Mar 16 11:21:25 EDT 2010

I actually did this. It was not a simple process and is a substantial
change to the car. There are several out there who have done this as
well. My biggest purpose of this was not as much for cooling as it was
to redirect the air. With the stock configuration, the air is directed
under the car. I closed off all air going through the front under the
car to where it all exits out of the top of the hood.

By removing the front beam and the front structure there is no doubt
that rigidity was an issue. The bar I put in is the same I used for the
roll bar but the duct you see is actually boxed in; not just one piece
of sheet. This really brings the rigidity of the front back.

I understand that I don't need as much air as was created by the large
hole I put in the hood. I don't want to assume I know how much air I
will need so I gave myself a way of changing it at a latter date.

When I built the aluminum hood, I placed the vent toward the rear so the
air will stretch out more. The front is a vent which can be bolted in 2
position; flat or up a little. I figure if I need more air I can open
then vent. Latter if this configuration is flawed the flexibility will
allow me to make some changes after the car is done.

http://www.rc-tech.net/pantera1/hood/hood.htm

http://www.rc-tech.net/pantera1/paint2/pp6.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/pantera1/index.htm

Gary