[DeTomaso] Replacing stock cooling fans

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 16 07:43:24 EDT 2010

I've had two Quella aluminum radiators, both with integrated fans and
shroud.  The first one was a 'stock' Quella two-pass version that had the
internal water tubes sealed with epoxy.  That radiator was damaged in an
off-track excursion and because of the epoxied design (the epoxy cracked), I
didn't think it was repairable.  I replaced it with the second, which was
custom single-pass design where I provided the specifications (via a
detailed drawing) for outside dimensions, inlet/outlet tubes, and
thermoswitch positions and Quella built it.  The second radiator has welded
water tubes with no epoxy.

The cooling system definitely performs much better with the single-pass
radiator, though there were other modifications done at about the same time
(swirl tank removed, streamlined main coolant path, etc.) that complicates
knowing what piece contributed what.

Dave