[DeTomaso] Replacing stock cooling fans

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Mar 15 15:22:49 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/15/10 2:30:21 AM, hsv at traen.se writes:

> What's the "standard" solution out there? Do you still have the stock
> fans? If replacing them, what do I need to get instead to cope with the
> cooling? I have a stock radiator in good condition.

IMHO, the 'standard; solution is to replace the stock radiator with a
Fluidyne aluminum one!
The real problem is, ANY stock radiator just will not flow enough water
through it to keep the engine cool in traffic. Its internal tubes are too
small. And the stock fans cannot push enough air to keep the water temp below
boiling around town.
The following mods help but do not solve the problem:
-dual shrouded sucker fans at least 3X stronger than stock, with the stock
fans and mounts removed
-a shield disc on the water pump impeller
-aluminum water pump
-slightly smaller diameter water pump pulley to spin the pump faster
-16 lb radiator cap
-blocking off the warm-up passage in the block with a freeze plug
-Wiring one fan to be 'on' all the time with a manual switch for the other
one and discarding the leaky stock fan switches
-180 degree thermostat
-adding a Laminova oil cooler & oil thermostat
-roller rocker arms for less frictional heating of the oil and a 10-quart
oil pan
-running 12 degrees of initial ignition advance with 35 degrees TOTAL
advance

I did all these with little or no improvement. But changing to a large-tube
aluminum Fuidyne rad immediately dropped the water temp 20 degrees F!
The only other thing that consistently lowers water temps is to completely
discard the thermometer. This will radically lower the water temp but is not
healthy for your engine in the long term. Good luck- J DeRyke, living in
the Nevada desert