[DeTomaso] Mine Too    Re:  SHE RUNS!!!!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 23:23:37 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/14/10 8:01:46 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> On the ground yesterday and on the road today.  I spent some time
> bedding the brakes, whew... what a smell.  I noticed my GEN light was on
> constantly with the amp gauge showing discharge.  DRAT!  I wonder why
> that is.... could be a 20 year old alternator I guess, but.....  well
> I'll have to investigate it.
>
>>>More likely you knocked a wire loose somewhere.
>
> >I -still- have a stinkin' thunk up front over light bumps.  This is
> starting to piss me off.  I currently have the right front wheel off to
> check wheel bearing play.  So far, I can't find any, but I've just
> printed a page from the shop manual and will do the procedure again.
>
>>>Have you rebuilt your steering rack?   If not, it's definitely the rack.
  If you have, check to make sure you tightened the right tie rod enough.
Another common culprit is the metal cooling pipes banging on the front
swaybar.   Most people wrap the bar or the pipes with heavy rubber hose to
insulate them from one another.   You can often get some relief by loosening the
hose clamps and sliding the pipes further into the hoses, which lifts them
up off the swaybar.

> >I can't seem to get the smell of hot brakes out of my nose.... grrrr.
>
>>>Are they dragging?   Are you sure?
>
> >I head for a Tech Inspection sometime this week and hopefully a Driving
> School here in Spokane on April 3-4.
>
> Team Pantera Racing is starting to roll for 2010.  Get those cats on the
> street.
>
>>>Indeed!

I was at a conference in Virginia for the past week, and stopped off in
Detroit to spend the weekend working on my long lost Shelby GT350 clone, with
Gary Roys.   Spent two long days and made enormous progress; Gary got my
short block assembled (the heads are still tied up at an engine shop after they
lost (!) one of my unique valve keepers and had to order a replacement) and
I spent ages fiddling with installing the full interior, a pretty major
undertaking on a fastback.

Hopefully the car will be back on the road in the next few months...quite a
novelty as it's been in pieces since late 2005!