[DeTomaso] Question about modifying ZF gearing for high performanceengine.

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Sat Mar 13 15:11:25 EST 2010

Boyd wrote:

Dawg,
I only mention 6800 rpm because thats the RPM thats quoted when the
original
Pantera top end is mentioned. 168 mph in 5th gear at 6800 rpm.

>>>Uh..no.  Stock redline was 5900 rpm, and quoted/advertised top speed
was, I believe, 159 mph.  Spinning a stock 351C to 6800 rpm is usually
step one in the 'spontaneous engine dismantling' procedure. :>)

Your other points are all very valid however!  Lower rpm and taller
gearing is the key to long life (or at least long-ish life) if
sustained triple-digit speeds are planned.  Realistically, virtually
nobody besides MD has that consideration however.