[DeTomaso] rear brakes update

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Sun Mar 7 21:46:59 EST 2010

I removed the retaining pins and anti-squeal springs from both calipers on the passenger side, which was the worse of the two sides.

The rotor is very slightly warped, so there is a "sweet area" where the rotor turns easily.  After pushing on the cylinder side pads with my fingers I was able to then be able to move all the pads around with my fingers.   So they were not being held under much force.  Now when I rotate the rotor the rear outboard pad seems to be the one hitting the rotor, as it is the one I can't move with my fingers at that time.  Pulling on the caliper relieves that pressure and all 4 pads move with my fingers.

I think I might have had the parking brake adjusted too tightly when I last did it-- I could only lift it about 3 clicks.  So I backed off both sides at the caliper until there is a hair of slack in the cable when the handle is released.  Now I can lift the handle much better.

If the parking brake was adjusted too tightly, will the self-adjuster back off a bit, or do I have to pull the caliper, rotate the piston, and push it back in a bit?

Jim