[DeTomaso] philosophical question

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sun Mar 7 20:01:52 EST 2010

Dear Rob,

         Hmm, it is basically a slippery slope.  It starts very easy with a
shallow slope and then as time progresses it gets steeper.

        The typical first Pantera owner has the same reluctance that you do.
Then something happens.  A headlight needs to be replaced.   Battery needs
to be changed.  Easy stuff.  It goes well.  Confidence improves and the idea
of letting someone else work on your Pantera begins to get less attractive.

         Then, perhaps, changing the suspension bushings or a new carb.
These are manageable, but take longer than the early set of tasks.  The
extra time is not long, but well spent and then things go well (well, at
least pretty good.  I am not including Asa Jay's coolant project battle with
the unidentified schmutz plugging the cooling tubes).

          The new Pantera owner begins to understand that the Pantera is a
pretty simple car.  The ambition to improve things gets stronger.  The
projects get a bit bigger and bigger and they take longer and longer.   They
often involve misadventures and unpleasant discoveries (see Asa Jay's tale
above), but the solution to the problem can be found.  The project is
completed with a real sense of satisfaction.

           The next thing you know you've taken four years to build an
engine or a "freshening up" of the car leads to near complete disassembly
and a new interior and other major cosmetics.  A simple set of new wheels
leads to new brakes, new shocks, new bushings,etc. etc.

           It happens.   That's why the Forum  also acts as a supportive
psychotherapy group.   You can't talk about these things with the
co-workers.  They wouldn't understand.  Only other Pantera owners have been
there and done that.

          Just enjoy driving it.  The projects will come in the fullness of
time---they're inevitable.  It is a thirty nine year Italian sports car.

                Philosophically yours,  Chuck Engles