[DeTomaso] Airflow testing

Matt matt at nwpantera.com
Sun Mar 7 19:16:18 EST 2010

Thanks to those jr. science cadets out there for the good ideas, I owe you a tip of the hat and appreciate the thoughts and time you have saved me during this fun little science project.
I've got two new vids with the stock condensor and an 11in. fan mounted, no shroud.
In the #3 video the fan's sucking air in, from outside.
In the #4 video it's blowing air out, rearward.

I saw no evidence of lack of available air on either direction of the fan. It just depends on your preference and a good fan and shroud system should provide suffecient cooling either way.
I did find it interesting that with the fan sucking in there was suffecient inward force to hold the laminate firm against the screen, even at higher speeds.
Even the most outward located test flaps seemed to naturally want to flow inward.
And that's with just one 11in. fan with no shroud!
This surprised me a little. I guess the stock setup might not be so bad. Certainly not bad enough to be the sole cause of hoses blowing up. And it would only improve with dual fans and a shroud.

There might be an argument made however for rearward direction as well. This depends on the different temps of the air coming from under and in front of the car rearward versus the air sucking in from outside the screen.
Who knows maybe I'll throw a laser temp meter in the mix...
I personally think the difference is negligible but believe dual fans would again benefit to cool as much of the condensor as possible.

After all is said and done,and I think I am on this test, my conclusion is that a good fan will overcome most anything at speeds driven 95% of the time.
>From what these test have shown me, the more natural flow seems to be inward flow from outside, with the luggage tub in and fan drawing air in from outside. Hey, isn't that stock?
Again,you're welcome to see for yourself and play the scientist.
Thanks again,

http://www.youtube.com/nwpantera

The Breeze
3584