[DeTomaso] Powder coating Campy Clones - Re: Weld Wheels

Douglas Kelm dakelm at qwest.net
Sat Mar 6 02:35:14 EST 2010

A properly finished wheel will be "painted" with Argent silver followed by a
clear powder coat, which can have any degree of gloss you specify. My
Wilkinson Campy clone wheels were refinished by a shop that does NOTHING BUT
restore aluminum and steel wheels, all day, every day! The process starts
with bead blasting the wheels to remove any contaminants and dull whatever
polished surfaces existed. It is a non-reversible process so be sure you
want to say goodbye to your highly polished rims before you commit to the
job. The shop I used thought I was "nuts" for wanting to "ruin" my
beautifully polished wheels but the end result was nothing short of
perfection. I never suffered any stone or rock chips to the finish and there
is no doubt that powder coating is superior to just ordinary paint.

Doug