[DeTomaso] Powder coating Campy Clones - Re: Weld Wheels

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 5 15:48:13 EST 2010

Anyone powder coated any of the vendor Campy clones?

  Well you wouldn't have the outgassing issues like you do with magnesium.  My experience with powdercoating

on items like wheels and control arms is that it's tougher than paint in some ways but weaker in others.  Powdercoating

is resistant to staining and chemicals but it seems it can take a hit as well...more brittle it seems when smacked with

a piece of gravel.  I was surprised at the hits the rear wheels can take from stuff coming up off the fronts.  Probably wouldn't matter on a normally driven car but there was some loose gravel problem on the RoadRunner ORR and a bunch

of people had stone chips well up into the rim of the wheel near the center.  I taped up the nose and rocker panels and didn't have any chips...except on the rear wheels and lower control arms!

  If I sell the 10 spoke Campys for some larger diameter clones I'll probably paint them first with a tough clearcoat.

Just my experience.

Michael Frazier
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa ...can't remember what I had for breakfast, but I always Remember the Alamo!