[DeTomaso] Electrical question

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Fri Mar 5 01:43:09 EST 2010

Mike,

Some Powermaster alternators can be run in one wire OR three wire mode. In
those cases, the three wire contacts are hidden under a silicone plug. Other
Powermaster alternators will only work in a one wire mode although some of
these alternators also have the silicone plug over hidden contacts. In this
case the hidden contacts don't do anything if you attempt to connect them.
These one wire alternators can be converted to a three wire only
configuration by swapping internal regulators. I bought one of these
alternators and Powermaster installed a new internal three wire voltage
regulator for me free of charge. Since I assume Johnny's in the UK, they
might be willing to send him the parts. If they won't, he'd be better off
just buying a new three wire alternator.