[DeTomaso] 03/04 Viper NPC

Jeff Udelson jefude at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 23:49:35 EDT 2010

Will,
I have always liked the early Vipers. To me they were modern day Cobras. Crude with monster motors and at the time very unique styling.
I could not afford 2 “toys" (still can't) but actually considered selling my Pantera to buy a Viper. My thought process was that the Viper would be more dependable and I would really enjoy the open top. After much thought I decided to keep the Pantera. What has always drawn me to the Pantera (my first in the 70s and #4134 for 16 years) is the car’s timeless styling and unique personality. Pantera's just have "soul”. Even that very unique smell of "plethora that comes with a 35 + year old vinyl interior. The sound of the Cleveland is truly fantastic.  All this adds up to why I own a Pantera and always will.

Now all this said "if" I could keep the Pantera and afford another "toy" a Viper would be on my list. Yes Mike Viper owners are some what like Vette owners. (Very much a not so fair generalization). But definitely better than snooty Ferrari owners. The Vipers are very good values because of heavy depreciation. For the all around fun factor, a car that is limited in production and unique they are hard to beat for the money.

If you want an unbiased opinion on Vipers go on the PI forum and pm Adams Hudson. He owns a Viper GTS, Pantera, 911 and a couple of classic "F" cars. He has told me of all the cars he owns the one he feels most comfortable taking on a long trip is the Viper. But I think the Pantera is still his favorite.
Great guy shoot him a PM
Jeff
Atlanta GA USA