[DeTomaso] Motor and body service numbers

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Sun Jun 27 14:39:11 EDT 2010

Mike Drew asked me to share this email that I had sent to him.

While I'm here : >) , I'd like to revisit motor and body service numbers.  My '71 never
had a tag or plate of any kind on the foot box (just the VIN stamp), nor did it have an
engine number plate by the left rear deck lid shock, nor does it have an engine number
stamped into the back of the block.  It was always my understanding that this came
later, as shown in the original orange Ford parts book that was given to me by my
contact at Ford in the 70's.

A review of my original blue owner's manual does reference an engine data plate
attached to the engine block, front end, and an engine serial number stamped on the
engine rear  L.H. side.  Mine has neither.

As a reminder, I bought this car new, and the only time that it was returned to the
Dealership was to have the Becker (not to be confused with Mike Becker : >)  ) radio
installed.  All other work was done by me.

Feel freely to move this email (or any portion there of) to the POCA forum if you feel
that others might benefit.

John