[DeTomaso] 5000. car

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 15:50:39 EDT 2010

Just so you don't feel too bad, I flew from LA to Chicago about 10 years ago to look at a "rust free" car.  It was the worst Pantera I ever saw.  For example, the seems where the outer rocker panels meet the bottom of the car were gone, there were open slits running along each side.  Other parts were simply rusted away.  The seller seemed like a nice guy, but it's hard to imagine that he didn't realize how bad it was.

The problem is that if you buy a complete running car, there may be $10K in rust repair lurking under the paint, and a lot of us are not qualified to inspect a car for that, and we get to excited and miss the obvious.  Personally, I think the best cars to buy are those with a complete "to the metal" restoration, or just a really cheap car that you plan to spend $20K plus on metal repair and paint.  I think the worst cars to buy are the "OK" cars for $30K, that you still end up spending $20K + on metal and paint to get what you want.

Ken