[DeTomaso] Numbers Matching!

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Thu Jun 24 15:03:40 EDT 2010

All,

I think more importantly than having stamped numbers matching the numbers of the car, which can be simply stamped in by hand to anything, or not at all(!),......you would want to be aware of casting numbers and dates on the engines.  Intakes, heads, flywheels, blocks, carbs, harmonic balancers, distributors, and fuel pumps all have casting or manufacturing dates on them from Ford.

If you have a 1974 motor in your 1971 car, I don't care what is stamped into it........ it never came "with the car" from the factory in 1971.

Same with glass dates!

If a car has all of the windows dated 1968, it is not a 1967 car........it may have started assembly in 1967, but it certainly was not shipped/delivered then.......  just an example that ruffles my feathers!

If you can read numbers, you can tell a LOT about your cars!!!!

Steve