[DeTomaso] Another oil question ot two

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 24 03:21:16 EDT 2010

In a message dated 6/23/10 9:29:15 PM, davel at emspace.com writes:

> When I pulled the heads on 6143 there was still some coolant in the
> block. Looks like I ended up with about 1/4 cup of glycol in the pan.

Thats a way-diiferent deal than what Steve had with straight water. Hot
glycol will DISSOLVE the lead from your main, rod and cam babbit-bearings,
totally destroying them. So if antifreeze was involved and some may still be
inside the crankcase, flush the motor very well before driving it hard enough
to get it hot. The dissoution begins to happen around 180 degrees F if I
remember rightly, but its not a fast reaction like sugar and hot coffee. So
while you're "flushing", watch that inaccurate water temp gauge and shut down
when things start to show some warmness.
Personally, I'd pull the motor and clean it by hand, but thats just me....
Good luck- J DeRyke