[DeTomaso] Modern Science Question- Oil and Water?

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Wed Jun 23 20:06:02 EDT 2010

How did a freeze plug let oil in the water you ask?????

When you put 4 of the damned things behind a great big HUGE timing chain cover on the front of the motor!!!!!   Think 427SOHC motor looking thing.....only updated by 3 decades!  One in each bank of the block, and one on each head.

For all of you running 4.6 and 5.4L motors, or are building them, be aware of this!!!   Ford used steel plugs....but I would install BRASS in every damned one of them if I was building a new one for my Pantera.  1.5" Dormans........

I pressurized my cooling system with my air compressor set to less than 20# and could hear a hissing sound.....using a stethoscope, I could hear it when I listened on the plastic valve covers. Couldn't really hear anything thru the aluminum or cast iron, but the plastic resonated it nicely!!!  Once I pulled the closest valve cover, I could see a spout....then I used a long hack saw blade to reach down and pin point the "whistle"...then I dropped the damned hacksaw blade....but by that time, I knew I was going to be "back in the area" to retrieve it.......

Hole was on the top edge of the plug, so when I was working on the engine, I never noticed it!  All I saw was nice shiny grey freeze plug!!!! DOH!  Had to bend over and get right down there to see it!!!

Ciao!
Steve