[DeTomaso] Clutch Help

tmshinro at aol.com tmshinro at aol.com
Tue Jun 22 23:24:56 EDT 2010

 I've exhausted my brain on this one so I'm sending out a call for help.

I replaced my clutch MC and slave.  I verified the pushrods were set per the book (MC pushrod at 2.95" and slave pushrod at 3.05").  I set the freeplay at 0.100".  I pushed almost 2 reservoirs of clutch fluid through the bleeder (no bubbles).  I ended up having to extend the slave pushrod about a turn and half so the gearbox wouldn't crunch while standstill shifting through the gears with the motor running.   See some space between the pressure plate and clutch disk (measured 0.018") and some smaller space between the clutch and flywheel (couldn't measure).  With the car in gear and the clutch depressed I can move the car by hand (no clutch drag).

Here's where it gets weird.   At the start of my test drive, everything is great.  All gears shift smoothly, clutch engages about half way up the pedal stroke. Drives like it is supposed to.   After I drive around for about 10 - 15 minutes, the clutch won't fully disengage at full stroke (gears won't engage without having to pump the pedal).  After limping back home and pulling into the garage in 2nd gear, I push the clutch in and it sounds like the clutch is dragging the engine down (again not fully disengaging).

I've been struggling with this for over a week!    It is very frustrating because I haven't had any clutch problems for over 20 years.   All ideas and suggestions are welcome and desired.

Thanks,
Tom