[DeTomaso] $5000 Pantera

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Tue Jun 22 17:40:19 EDT 2010

California does register the Pantera  as a Pantera, and, as Bill stated, the
California title says PNTRA.

According to the info that I have, '72-1/2 started with #4269,
and '73 started with #4840.

When the Panteras (or any vehicle) were sold in California, the  title
only had one "box" for the year, and it was labeled "Date First Sold".
Back then. when a vehicle was sold in Calif, only the "Date First Sold" (not the model year)
appeared on the title.

Some years later (the 90's, I think), Calif added a second "year box" to the title.
Now we have two boxes, "Year Model", and "Year First Sold".

Rather than create a paperwork and logistical nightmare (that's a first for Government),
Calif just made the default year for the newly  created "Year Model" box the same as
the year in the old "Date First Sold" box.

Hence, many (if not most) of the new Panteras that were registered in Calif were registered
(titled) as the next calendar year from the year on the B pillar plate (build date).  This is due
to the fact that they were sold in the next calendar year from the build date year.

I purchased my #1490 on 1/27/72, so it has been registered (titled) as a '72 until this
year, when I got it (the title) changed to show a 1971 "year Model".

John