[DeTomaso] Resistor in coil wiring?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jun 21 15:58:55 EDT 2010

In a message dated 6/21/10 12 49 25, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> Yes, the electrical choke's are held open by the current and fail closed!
> I only found this out at the Reno Fun Rally as Mike Drew's choke wire
> terminal connection was loose and fell off, so he drove all day Friday out into
> the mountains with the choke on!

I'm here to tell you that doing so will make your car run REALLY badly!
However, if you have a double-pumper carburetor and keep your foot in it, the
open secondaries will provide enough air to let the car continue to run.

Dan Jones was riding with me (and drove on the way back), and we were
struggling to come up with an explanation for why the thing was running so badly,
when it had been running so well earlier.   A few miles from the hotel the
clue light came on over my head.   The car would barely stagger up the ramp
to the second-floor parking level.   Plugging the choke wire back in (after
Dan mangled it a bit) instantly cured the problem.

Thank goodness for the MSD ignition system.   No way that car would have
kept running with an ordinary system--the plugs would have fouled almost
immediately.