[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 71, Issue 18-GEARS AND TIRES

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Fri Jun 18 11:30:31 EDT 2010

I have had numerous tire combinations on my Pantera
with various sizes.. when first talking to Dawg and the track
boys they suggested a smaller rear tire.... I have had 345, 335, 315, 295's
and found the 315's out back had less push on the front
of the car... I run 18" and the 35 series vs 30 ..which are available
in the 315 set so I tried them and have been sold.. I finally
sold my other 345, 335 tires and have only the 315's now
I also only run Dot road race tire all the time... so the
car never changes handling from the track to the street
I had over 6 different sets of tire sizes and styles on my
car over the years

I have a taller 5th gear... not sure which one
It was mainly to calm the slightly modified stroker
down on the highway and help a little in gas mileage
I rarely run 5th gear on the track or highway unless
I am trying to save fuel.... I never thought of the
taller ring and pinion... as others have stated
first gear can ring out early... I seem to hit the rev
limiter in first doing burnouts very quickly (6800)
second has more room on the limiter

I actually only used a half of a tank of gas going
to the track at Fernley... running at a limited speed of 100
for 20 minutes and back to the Hotel... I though my gauge
was broken for a while... Many times just running around town
I use over a half a tank going nowhere

Bob Benson #3 black pantera