[DeTomaso] Taller 5th gear for cruise

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 17:02:17 EDT 2010

> Have you tried Lloyd's Gear Ratio Calculator on line:
> http://www.rbttrans.com/Gear%20Ratio/page1.php

No, I wrote my own.

> The only one he could source at the time was a 0.642

Good point, I'm making the assumption that all ratios are
now in stock.  I'll have to find out if that is true.

> It sounds like you already know what you want. :-)
> The .620 is probably just what you need for cruising.

Yup :-)

> I guess I need more HP.

We can fix that...

> Dan, Larry Stock had RBT build up a ZF with a 3.20:1 R & P in a
> 400bhp/400-ft-lb Cleveland, and after losing three Centerforce
> clutches due to severe clutch slipping needed to just get going,
> he pulled it and went to a 3.77:1 R & P. What is the concensus on
> R & P changes relative to only the 5th gear pair? I notice the
> costs are similar- around $2000.

I'll be running quite a lot of cam overlap plus an aluminum
flywheel, so I thought I'd just do the taller 5th gear.  The
taller ring and pinions were more expensive and would raise
first gear which might hurt clutch life.

Dan Jones