[DeTomaso] Head Gasket Holes

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 15 21:12:31 EDT 2010

Don't make the tiny holes bigger.  They are steam holes.

The water enters both sides of the block by the water pump.  It travels to the back, and enters the heads.  It flows through the heads and back to the front.  It re-enters the block, then to the thermostat in the block, and to the water bottles.

If you make the steam holes larger, too much water will flow from the middle of the block to the heads.  I don't know if it would happen, but I'd bet it would cause the head to run hot near the rear of the block.

If you make the large hole near the front of the block larger, it should make the water flow faster - assuming the hole is a restriction.  My guess is the restriction is the thermostat housing, though, so if you make the the large holes larger, it shouldn't do anything.

I wouldn't mess with any of the holes in the head gasket.  They are a specific size for a reason.