[DeTomaso] lowering of surge tank???

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 14 19:44:50 EDT 2010

There have been a couple of Panteras in which, for unknown reasons, the
surge tank was mounted with the central weld joint below the clamp instead of
above. And on one car on the way to 'Vegas when the tank heated up and
softened the rubber insulator surrounding the tank, it dropped nearly to the road
surface! Apparently, the stock clamp and stock tank uses some or a lot of
that weld area to support the weight of hot water plus the tank. If you do
this, I would at least add a few tack-brazes to the tank as detents to keep
this embarrassing incident from happening to you.
If you don't insist on 'stock' , its not difficult to mount the OEM tank on
the rocker panel frame support and run a custom extension pipe with a cap
on it, up to stock height or taller. As you remember, I have a 2X larger tank
mounted there with a rad cap mounted behind the right gill, duplicating the
left side gas filler, but for water. Cheers- J Deryke