[DeTomaso] steering rack question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 14 15:06:30 EDT 2010

In a message dated 6/14/10 5:17:54 AM, justingreisberg at hotmail.com writes:

> So, I rebuilt my rack with new bushing some time ago and filled with oil
> as per instructions on this forum (I think from Mike Drew - something like
> a third of a quart of thick diff fluid - don't recall exactly.  The car
> does a lot of sitting as I complete restoration, and I find the rack
> consistently leaves a nice puddle on the floor......

The complete rebuilding sometimes needs a new gasket under the two
removeable plates near the pinion. Sealing these and sometimes a new pinion seal,
not just sealing the bolts, fixes any leaks from the box. I've never seen one
leak from the junction of the aluminum ends and the pressed-in steel center
tube, but I suppose anything's possible.
As for the boots, the little clamps on the ends sometimes don't tighten
quite enough to hold an old stiff boot to the steering rods. Here, the fix is
to add a strip of shim-stock under the stock clamp so it tightens on the
rubber effectively. Or, you could search out a small worm-drive clamp to
substitute for the stockers with their limited adjustment. Good luck- J DeRyke