[DeTomaso] rocker arm adjustment

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 14 14:45:45 EDT 2010

In a message dated 6/14/10 8:21:35 AM, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> Just to talk about point 1 a little but - you know that you can't tighten
> the rockers sufficiently by just tightening the set screw, right?
> There's a little technique where you set the desired height, back off a
> little bit, and rotate both the set screw and the outer nut (which adjusts
> height) a the same time, which really cranks down on the set screw.
> An allen wrench won't cut it and your rocker arms will not be tight.

All true. An added step I always recommend is a stud girdle. Once you
final-adjust the rocker nuts & internal setscrews, then clamp all the nuts in a
girdle, the nuts WILL NOT loosen. The valve adjustment may change but you
know its not from the nuts moving! And the girdles brace up the rocker studs
as added insurance. Guys with radical cams have broken rocker studs and the
girdle let their engine continue running almost as good as when it was
unbroken. Its not the cheapest but I like the Ridgeway 2-bar stud girdle. Note-
every stud girdle mfgr suppies its own particular adjusting nuts so you
likely will have to throw away the current ones. And they are not for
bolt-conversion rocker arms. FWIW- J DeRyke