[DeTomaso] steering rack question

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 14 08:17:33 EDT 2010

So, I rebuilt my rack with new bushing some time ago and filled with oil as per instructions on this forum (I think from Mike Drew - something like a third of a quart of thick diff fluid - don't recall exactly.  The car does a lot of sitting as I complete restoration, and I find the rack consistently leaves a nice puddle on the floor.  It seems to be seeping at the ends of the rubber accordion-things at the ends, which I expect, just a tiny bit.  most of the seeping comes from the plates opposite the pinion gear, but there is more than just that I think.  i tried to seal the bolts with silicone, but not really changing anything.

anyway, big question is what to do?  I think I might just take off one of the rubber bellows while in the car, and turn wheel all the way to one side to expose part of the rack,  then lube up rack with thin engine assembly lube, then rotate wheel back and forth a bunch to get lube on the pinion gear and rest of rack.  And just dump the rest of the fluid out before it gets all over my nicely restored frame.  any thoughts?  I would love not to have to remove rack again, even though I have become an expert at doing everything twice on the car.  (those who follow my exploits might recall the 4 times I had to take the cylinder head off the block in the car)

And by the way, no one asked, but regarding crane lifter dicussion, removing the rockersto inspect or change lifters requires re-setting the rocker arm set screws, which is a chore in the car.  Using the ford shop manual, there is a nice trick so you dont have to rotate the engine 100 times trying to get the right position for every lifter individually.

justin