[DeTomaso] Crane Link Bar Lifter Failure - Pictures

Orville Orville at Rubyglass.com
Sun Jun 13 22:08:59 EDT 2010

Mike,
One other thought that seems very relevant is that during the testing and
operation of the engine there were no unexpected noises from the engine. In
fact, it performed in all expected manner and I was totally surprised to
find the link bars sitting on the valley floor along with the "buttons." The
only apparent damage to the engine was to the lifter rollers and to the cam
lobes, which were scored apparently when the lifters rotated. One lifter, on
#1 cylinder, still had the bar attached but had rotated 180 degrees!

Orville

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com] On
Behalf Of MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:38 PM
To: Orville at Rubyglass.com; daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com; detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Crane Link Bar Lifter Failure - Pictures

Thanks Orville,

I should easily be able to slide a dental mirror in there and examine them;
the difference is obvious to see.

Given that my engine has 10-15 hours of dyno time plus 500-700 miles of
hard driving, I'd be shocked if there is anything wrong, but I'm not taking
any
chances--I'm pulling my intake this week.   I had a slight intake gasket
oil leak anyway and meant to pull and reseal it properly.