[DeTomaso] Fender Flare Foto Study at Reno

cullen mccann clarkwgriswold2nd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 10:18:36 EDT 2010

Subject: [DeTomaso] Fender Flare Foto Study at Reno

Mike,

This is awesome. Your timing for studying the flares is perfect for me,
thank you for doing that. I have been master-planning the long term goals
for my project, and I'm leaning towards a Grp4 look. I love the widebodies
but have an appreciation for both the street original clean lines and also
the race car. Ironically, while Kirk Evans and I were sorting out my rust
issues recently and discussing the fixes, I was mentioning to him that I
like the Grp 4 flares. And then, even a couple of weeks ago, another member
of the list and myself were chatting about flare design using net images for
comparison, so your timing is awesome for what I have been thinking about
lately. I see the points in your analysis and they are spot on. To further
the discussion on the shape of the different flares, there is character I
have seen where some taper more as they descend towards the rocker area. One
known example is Jan Taraszkiewicz's "Does 200" car that I'm sure everyone
is familiar with:      POCA.com
<http://poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=1586>   - Does 200 rear qtr
shot

Jan's flairs appear to me to taper more gradually across the entire flare
toward the bottom to transition to the rocker, where it appears to me that
the original Grp4 flairs were more vertical and perpendicular to the ground
until they get to the body crease and then they turn more sharply into the
car, again depending on if the "running boards" or front air dam is present.
Personally I have slowly come to the conclusion that I prefer the more
accurate reproduction flare as seen in the steel blue/grey car in your first
shot.

I see several manufacturers selling Gr4 flares and body kits. I think I'm
leaning towards the flares only with no air dam and no running boards, and
no faux brake vent. Personal preference for the aesthetics. While I am
confidently approaching a lot of the metal work on my own car to repair.im
not that experienced on an English wheel.so I am sure I will need to
purchase the flairs. I need steel ones, not glass.

So here is the most helpful question for me right now..considering the
different styles, where can I get a set of reproduction Grp 4 flares like
the ones in Mike's first image?

Thanks!!

Cullen

(Project RustyCat 3925)