[DeTomaso] MSD Box Autopsy Results

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Thu Jun 10 18:42:25 EDT 2010

The wire that is connected last will arc if there is the potential for current to flow.

The wire that is disconnected first will arc if there is current flowing.

When using jumper cables, always CONNECT the ground last, and always DISCONNECT the ground first.  Do not connect the ground to the battery.  Connect the ground to the engine (or frame).
When you connect the ground cable, there will be an arc.  You do not want that arc to be near the battery as it could ignite flammable gasses that may be escaping from the battery vents (read  BOOM).

John