[DeTomaso] Fun Rally Photos (Better)

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Wed Jun 9 23:28:41 EDT 2010

Bill

Photos are terrific - Thanks for catching the glory of the event.  It is a
blast connecting with everyone there.

I had the good fortune of driving Andrew Wortman's GTS to and around Lake
Tahoe.  It wasn't running quite right and he offered me the chance to take
it out and diagnose.  My guess was a vacuum leak of some sort as it would
only idle with the idle speed screw all the way in.

While coasting down a hill on the far side of the Lake, Bang! a huge
backfire and everything went dead. Darn - this could be a very long tow.

We removed the aircleaner - plenty of gas. Checked for spark and there was
none. I had no idea what type of ignition system was on the car. Switched
drivers, turning the key (very scientific), and checked for spark again.
Suddenly spark was there.  Reconnected the coil wire and walla - she
started.

Turned the car off and went for a hike with the gang to Emerald Bay and
Eagle Falls.

Fingers crossed, the car started. On the return trip, the idle speed rose to
3200 RPM.  We backed out the idle speed screw and brought the idle speed
back to 1100RPM.  All was well

Thankfully, we got back to the hotel without further issue and the car
running better then when we left.  I spoke with Andrew yesterday and he made
it home to Santa Monica without a hitch and the car is still running great.

Wish I knew how we fixed it.  They saw better lucky than good.  I was
thankful.

JT