[DeTomaso] plug between fuel pump & oil filter, gutting mufflers?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 9 20:56:50 EDT 2010

In a message dated 6/9/10 17 53 30, deserttwist at juno.com writes:

> Sounds like the trip to Reno was a big success, can't waite to go next
> year. A few questions here: I noticed there is a plug between the fuel pump
> and oil filter, is it pressurized so that I can use it for the guage sender &
>  low pressure safety switch?
>
>>>Yes.   That is an alternate location for an oil pressure switch;
normally it requires a threaded adapter which sticks out to the side and allows the
switch to clear the filter and fuel pump.

> >There is no trouble with clearance because I am using an electric fuel
> pump.
>
>>>You've got that going for you then :>)

> >Also is there any advantage to gutting the mufflers other than noise ?
>
>>>Some mufflers are extremely efficient; most are not.   Gutting the Euro
GTS mufflers netted me a measly 12 hp gain, which was rather disappointing
in retrospect.   I think there is much more power to be had there, as the
restriction is probably caused by the resonator tips as much as anything else.

But what kind of mufflers do you have?   Depending on a variety of factors,
you could be trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?