[DeTomaso] Before my fans wouldn't run... now they won't shut off!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 9 18:58:05 EDT 2010

In a message dated 6/9/10 13 54 3, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> What could be possible causes? I have a late-model car, with the Rick
> Moseley kit installed with relays in the front trunk.

That's the cause.

The stock fan scheme has the fan relays powered by *switched* power.   The
Moseley kit sends *unswitched* power to the relays.   The ground is provided
by the thermoswitches in the radiator.   So the fans will continue to run
after the key is shut off, until the temperature drops enough to open the
switch and thus remove the ground from the relay.

There is a way to rejigger the system so that another relay is added to the
mix, so that the power from the aux fuse block on the relay kit panel first
passes through an ignition switched relay.   That way, the power is removed
when the switch is turned off.

Or something.