[DeTomaso] Rats, Not the Expected Valve Springs

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 5 09:55:54 EDT 2010

While checking out the motor I pulled the cam out and found the Comp Cams part number, "292".  I looked up the specs, looks like a decent cam, but the two recommended springs are both dual springs.  Looking at the heads, they have single springs with dampers and some big (I think umbrella style?) seals that would not fit inside dual springs with dampers.

Is it common for engine builders to substitute equivalent springs, and would it be odd for a single spring to match dual springs specs?  The specs call for a moderate spring, not something too big.  I ordered a Moroso spring (on the head) gauge to measure the spring pressure.

Any suggestions?

Ken